Source Removal Duct Cleaning Process
How Abatement’s duct cleaning process removes caked on dirt and debris from residential and commercial air ducts
Source Removal and Capture Provides Complete Cleaning and Decontamination of Air Ducts
The definition of source removal duct cleaning using the Abatement Technologies’ HEPA-AIRE cleaning process is as follows:
- Clean the air conveyance system using Abatement’s AIRE-SWEEP® Compressed Air Tools and DUCT-PRO® Mechanical Agitation Brush System to dislodge dirt and other contaminants from the ductwork and other HVAC components.
- Use a powerful Abatement HEPA-AIRE®, HEPA-filtered Portable Power Vacuum to place the section of the duct system being cleaned under negative pressure, pull dislodged contaminants out of the duct system and capture them.
A conventional HVAC duct system consists of a supply system of ducts to carry heated or cooled air from the furnace/air conditioner (air handler) to various parts of the home or building, and a return duct system to bring fresh air back to the air handler to be heated or cooled again. The supply network consists of main ducts, which carry air to smaller branch runs, which in turn carry air to the desired locations. The return network works in reverse.
State-of-the-Art Source Removal Duct Cleaning Process
The HEPA-AIRE process utilizes an Abatement HEPA-AIRE Portable Power Vac in tandem with a specially designed AIRE-SWEEP Portable Air Compressor and Agitation Tools for efficient state-of-the-art source removal duct cleaning. This method enables professional duct cleaners to remove contaminants from all parts of the duct system, regardless of location or type of duct. Yet it is simple to perform and requires only a limited amount of access holes. Here’s how it works:
- The supply and return networks are “zoned,” or separated, so they can be cleaned independently. This is typically done by removing the furnace filter, inserting it into a plastic bag and reinserting it into the furnace.
- An access hole is cut into the supply plenum and the flex duct from the HEPA-AIRE Vacuum inlet is connected to the plenum with a quick-connect attachment collar. The powerful vacuum creates high-velocity air movement within the supply ductwork to transport loosened dirt and contaminants out of the ductwork and into the vacuum's filtration/collection system.
- Each branch is cleaned separately starting with the branch farthest from the vacuum. The register and boot areas are blasted with compressed air from the AIRE-SWEEP Compressor using the special air booster gun to push any dirt or debris into the branch run.
- The branches are then cleaned by feeding the Forward AIRE-SWEEP Assembly down each branch run to push dirt and debris forward into the main run. The Reverse AIRE-SWEEP Assembly can also be used to clean branch runs if access at the main supply duct is available.
- Agitation devices such as the AIRE-SWEEP Power Brush, Duct Whip or Power Rod System are used when needed to dislodge caked-on debris from inside duct surfaces.
- The main duct run is then cleaned. First, one-inch diameter access holes must be cut into the duct every 25 feet. Then, the Agitation Devices and an AIRE-SWEEP Assembly are used to dislodge debris accumulated on surfaces. The loosened debris is pulled or pushed toward the HEPA-AIRE Portable Power Vacuum and captured in its multi-stage filtration/collection system.
- Once the supply side of the system has been completely cleaned, the return duct system is cleaned using the same method.
- The coil, motor and blower and blower compartment can be cleaned.
- Once the entire cleaning process is completed, all access holes are completely closed with the efficient CAPLUGS® and cover plates are installed over the access holes.
Learn about the advantages of Abatement Technologies’ HEPA-AIRE cleaning method compared to rotary brush-type systems.
Need More Information?
Abatement Technologies experienced and knowledgeable sales consultants are ready to assist you with product recommendations and procedures. Call us or Contact Us today for a complete package of information on how we can help your company add or improve a duct cleaning business.